Applications are now being accepted by the Town of Chapel Hill for the Central West Focus Area Steering Committee to provide ideas for planning the uses, form and intensity along Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and portions of Estes Drive. The committee is charged with facilitating broad public input, and to receive and integrate community feedback.
A communitywide design charette will be planned to gather feedback from all residents of Chapel Hill. The steering committee is charged with ensuring that the process is open and participatory and that broad engagement occurs with the full community.
Applications for the 17-member committee will be accepted through Nov. 12, and members are expected to be announced on Dec. 3. Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt will appoint three Town Council members to make recommendations for committee membership to the full Council, and all Council members are welcome to participate in the selection process.
The steering committee membership will include a UNC-Chapel Hill liaison, Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools liaison, a Planning Board member, a Transportation member, Business owners/Landowners/Non-profit representatives from the area including one Chamber of Commerce member; 6 residents from the Planning and Impact Areas, 1 renter from the Planning or Impact Area, 1 Public Housing Resident or representative, and 1 Bicycle and Pedestrian Board or Greenways Commission member. To view a detailed list of the committee composition, see
A possible first steering committee meeting may be held in December 2012, and the full process is tentatively scheduled to begin in January 2013. The committee will be expected to prepare a draft plan to the Town Council before its last June 2013 meeting; a final plan should be provided no later than December 2013.
The Central West Focus Area was identified as a priority during the Chapel Hill 2020 comprehensive planning process due to the known development pressures in the area. During the adoption of the Chapel Hill 2020 comprehensive plan, the Council requested that the Town staff work with the community to develop a process that would provide an opportunity for more focused discussion that would ultimately provide the Council with additional direction for the area.
Between mid-September and early October 2012, four community meetings were held to develop recommendations to Council regarding the process. During the Oct. 24, 2012, meeting, the Council reviewed the community, Planning Board, and Town staff recommendations, and the Council endorsed the formation of the Central West Focus Area Steering Committee. For more information, see
For information about the Central West Focus Area, contact Planner Megan Wooley at 919-969-5059 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in being a member of the Central West Focus Area, please complete the following steps:
1. Fill out the following application: Application for Membership on a Town of Chapel Hill Advisory Board, Commission, Committee or Task Force
- Read the directions carefully and be sure to include “Central West Focus Area” at the bottom of page one along with the seat on the Steering Committee for which you would like to be considered (for more information about the Steering Committee’s composition and a list of positions, see below).
- Only apply for one seat on the Committee.
- Identify all your interest areas with regards to this Committee in the supporting statement on the application (for example, if you are a resident, business owner, school employee, advisory board member etc.). This information will assist the selection committee when making recommendations about the committee composition.
2. Submit your application:
- Email the application to email@example.com; or
- Fax the application to 919-967-8406; or
- Mail the application to: Communications and Public Affairs Department, 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Chapel Hill, NC 27514
For more information about the application process, contact Jennifer Phillips, Community Participation Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-969-5014.