The Chapel Hill 2020 team is preparing for the next meeting of the community planning process, set for 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 23, at Estes Hills Elementary School, 500 Estes Drive.
Download a flyer (English/Spanish)
At the Feb. 23 meeting, the community will be discussing some of the results from a series of Future Focus community visioning sessions. This meeting will be followed by another community meeting on March 20. The public is welcome. Participants will help develop the new comprehensive plan that will guide the town’s future. Those who attend will have a chance to get caught up on the discussions to-date, learn about the overall process, and share their ideas for the plan. Meeting Materials are available on the website www.chapelhill2020.org
Child care for children ages three and older is available, thanks to the Chapel Hill-Carrboro YMCA Teen Leaders’ Club. If you don’t speak English contact the Chapel Hill 2020 team (see information below) a week before the meeting you would like to attend. We will do our best to help you to participate!
Si Ud. no habla inglés, favor de comunicarse con nosotros una semana antes de la reunión que Ud. quisiera asistir. ¡Haremos lo posible para ayudarle a participar!
The following draft themes have been developed from the community’s input for the new comprehensive plan.
- Good places and new spaces:Downtown & Development (special places, downtown district, housing, development, protecting existing assets, neighborhoods)
- Town & Gown:Learning and innovation (a center of medicine and health care, life-long learning, using intellectual/financial capital, re-thinking the status quo)
- Getting Around:Transportation: (transportation of all forms, regional assets, partnerships, potential for shared success)
- Community prosperity and engagement:Fiscal Sustainability and public safety, (affordability, economic development, tourism, neighborhoods, services delivery)
- A Place for Everyone:diversity, cultural vibrancy, & the arts (youth, teens, safe places, a welcoming community, arts, creativity, celebrations, special events, inclusion)
- Nurturing our community: environmental sustainability: (our natural environment, open spaces, solid waste, recycling, parks, greenways, rural buffer)
The 2020 Outreach Committee says, “We can come to you!” The public outreach, surveys and other comments will be brought to each meeting along the way. If you can’t join the meetings, please participate online or by hosting a group discussion. As the theme groups work on the elements of the plan, the reporting out sessions are the glue holding the themes together. At the end of the process, using this system of outreach and community meetings through April 2012, Chapel Hill will have one plan.
For more information about Chapel Hill 2020, visit www.chapelhill2020.org or www.chapelhillbuzz.org. Would you like to schedule a speaker to attend your club or group’s next neighborhood meeting or luncheon? Please contact us and help us involve more people who care about our community in planning its future. Contact email@example.com or 919-969-5068.