By Scott Sherrill, UNC MPA Student
On April 17, between 5:30 and 6:30, neighborhood representatives had the opportunity to get an update on the Chapel Hill 2020 process. Mary Jane Nirdlinger briefed the group on where the process is, how engagement will continue post June, the status of plan drafting, a vision for implementation, and then opened the floor for questions.
Presentation: neighborhoods meeting 4-17-2012
The process is now primarily focused on refining the plan in terms of community vision, goals, objectives, and steps as the plan starts heading towards advisory boards and public hearings in May and June.
From an engagement perspective, the hope is that citizens will remain involved into June and beyond. The sustained involvement to this point has consistently drawn 150 participants to theme group meetings. The process has built networks so that for the corridor and other later studies, citizens familiar with the comprehensive plan can be brought into the conversation. One of the ideas is also to maintain conversations with other community entities like the university and the school system.
A new draft of the plan should be available before the April 24 meeting, but the current draft is available here. The April 20 plan should have more meat on the bones.
After June, the ongoing engagement opportunities could include:
- NC 54 Zoning Analysis, discussion about transit improvements
- 15-501 N Zoning Analysis with focus on Healthcare property and transit improvements
- MLK N Zoning analysis with focus on interchange connections
- MLK S Estes Drive corridor study; focused conversation on MLK/Hillsborough triangle
Revising the zoning ordinance as appropriate
Revising Land Use Management Ordinance as Appropriate
Continue UNC/UNCH partnership for institutional property
Audience questions focused on process improvements and feedback/comment mechanisms. but also on thinking ahead to the activities for post-June like reviewing the land use plan and zoning changes that might be necessary for expressed visions from the 2020 Plan to occur.
Next meetings are:
- Today (Wednesday, April 18) from 5:30-8:30 15-501 S Discussion Group; the group will also be meeting April 19 from 5-8 PM.
- Tuesday, April 24, will be a community meeting from 7-9 PM at Chapel Hill High School.
- Thursday, May 10: Joint advisory boards meeting to review.
- Monday, May 21: Chapel Hill 2020 Plan presented to Council.
- Tuesday, June 5: Joint advisory boards meeting to review.
- Monday, June 25: Council to vote on Chapel Hill 2020 Plan.