The Council adopted the Chapel Hill 2020 comprehensive plan and land use policy guidance document on June 25, 2012.
The Council expressed its gratitude and appreciation to Chapel Hill 2020 co-chairs Rosemary Waldorf and George Cianciolo, and the thousands of citizens who participated over the yearlong process. Described as a “living document,” the community plan has five big ideas:
- Implement a bikeable, walkable, green communities plan by 2020.
- Create an entrepreneurial enterprise hub in the Rosemary
- Create entertainment/dining/arts hubs to capitalize on
Chapel Hill’s strengths as a recreational destination.
- Increase the ratio of workforce housing by 2020 and develop a plan for student housing in the community.
- Establish a structure to support community and neighborhood engagement in a proactive manner.
Implementation of the plan will include review and analysis of the Action items proposed by the community participants as well as follow-up work on land use and zoning changes.
Implementation will continue the high level of engagement and community participation that characterized the Chapel Hill 2020 process.
Read the Chapel Hill 2020 Plan: http://www.townofchapelhill.org/index.aspx?page=1950